January 23, 2010

NAME of the moment! "Michael"


The dominant language is eh still English, though it is not the most commonly used(matter-of-fact), if you ask me it is the most mainstream. You turn on the TV nowadays, switch channels, notice the different languages of the human race, have to make frequent references to the English language. I can get a good laugh at some of the chinese channels, Party = 派對. Saddam Hussein = 萨达姆. They are 'literally-translated' mainly for the purpose of having the words to be (written down) documented.


The japanese language, no exception, has its own translation of English (words). I am so used to the japanese pronounciation, that unconsciously I would use it! ha! Most words are standard, but I find the name "Michael" having quite a few variations. (I don't know if it is just me...) In Macross Frontier, in the same show itself, "Michael" is pronouced in 2 ways, by 2 different ppl!


The official pronounciation is "Ma-e-ke-ru". link


Alto's version is "Mi-ha-e-ru"


Luca's version is more like the english female name "Michelle". "Michelle-ru"




And................


How to speak fluent Japanese - series! ROFL!








1 comment:

  1. A post dedicated to me? Aw, you shouldn't have, I feel so embarressed. Well english to jp can be problematic, especially when it involves names. Should you follow the direct translation or a name that sounds proper and close to it blah blah.
    How to answer questions by making sounds. Yes japanese love to abbreviate names and things. LOL at FUA-KIN! I love Fua-Kin -_-;

    ReplyDelete